CPAT is one of four Welsh Archaeological Trusts working closely with other national, regional and local bodies, to help protect, record and interpret all aspects of the historic environment for the whole of Wales.
Most of CPAT’s work is in the Clwyd-Powys area – the county of Powys and the local authority areas in the former county of Clwyd – Denbighshire, Flintshire, Wrexham County Borough and the eastern part of Conwy County Borough.
The Trust’s staff are organised into an Administration Team, Curatorial Team and a Project Team. The Trust’s core activities include the provision of information and advice on the archaeological resource to local, regional and national enquirers, and fieldwork projects to survey, examine and assess that resource. The bulk of the funding for these regional archaeological services is received from Cadw and the Royal Commission on Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (RCAHMW), with additional resources coming from local authorities and private developers.
The Trust is a registered charity and a limited company, and its activities are managed by a board of Trustees and an advisory committee. Membership is invited from local authorities, museums, universities, historical societies and other bodies with interests in the archaeology of the region.
The image which appears at the top of the page is inspired by a square bronze plate found in 1872 as part of a large hoard of metalwork discovered under the collapsed rampart of Moel Hiraddug hillfort, Flintshire. The plaque is 152mm in length, with a central roundel containing a whirligig pattern with streamers. The central boss is pierced, as are the corners, suggesting that it was once attached to another object, perhaps used to decorate a wooden casket. It is thought to date to the early part of the 1st century BC. © CPAT CS-00-27